The following groups of road users will, as a general rule, not pay toll:
- cyclists, pedestrians and passengers in all types of vehicles
- uniformed emergency vehicles
- civilian emergency vehicles in service
- vehicles in a marked funeral cortège
- electric cars with fuel code 5 on their vehicle registration certificate
- public transport vehicles on licensed routes
- vehicles used in connection with work on toll roads (except toll rings)
- diplomatic vehicles within Oslo Package 3 and vehicles owned by or affiliated with NATO headquarters
- mobility impaired drivers (Exemption applies only in urban toll rings and with a valid parking permit from the municipality.)
However, the owners/drivers of these vehicles must have signed a contract and installed a valid electronic tag in order to
be granted exemption.
Motorcycles and mopeds are exempt from paying tolls at all automatic toll stations. Motorcycles and mopeds must pay tolls at Norway's only manual
toll station – the Atlantic Ocean Tunnel.
Tractors are not exempt from paying tolls. In practice, however, exemption is granted in cases where a toll station divides a farm
in two, to avoid farmers having to pay tolls every time they drive from one part of their farm to another. In all other cases,
tractors have to pay tolls in the same way as other vehicles. Contact your toll road operator for more information.
Mobility impaired drivers
Persons with reduced mobility who have a valid parking permit from the municipality are entitled to exemption from tolls in
connection with urban areas. As at today, the exemption applies to the following places:
- Bypakke Bodø and rv. 80 Vikan
- Bypakke Grenland
- Oslo and Bærum
- Trondheim (only toll roads within "Miljøpakken")
All vehicles that are exempt must install a toll tag
If you have reduced mobility and have one vehicle, you must apply for exemption from tolls to the toll road operator with
which you have an agreement. A copy of the parking permit from the municipality must be enclosed the application. Your agreement
with your toll road operator will include an exemption from payment of the aforementioned tolls. The tag is linked to one
vehicle and may not be moved between vehicles.
The parking permit must be valid for at least two years. The section below includes information on exceptions that apply in
If you have several vehicles, you must apply to the toll road operator for a refund for toll charges for those vehicles without
a tag and for which you have been granted exemption for toll charges. An application must be submitted within three months
after passing the toll stations. You must state the toll station, the time and the vehicle's registration number. A copy of
the parking permit must be enclosed.
Parents with children with reduced mobility, where the child has a parking permit, may upon application to the toll road operator
obtain two tags that are exempt from toll charges.
Without own vehicle
Persons with reduced mobility who don't own a vehicle may have toll charges refunded by submitting a signed letter to the
toll road company stating the time and location of passing the toll stations, the vehicle registration number, and a copy
of the parking permit. Claims must be submitted within three months after passing the toll stations.